* The Value of Mentoring

The following story is about the value of mentoring…


My introduction to the world of dog shows began with my first German Shepherd. She joined me in the spring of 1955. She was my best friend and constant companion. Having been raised with family dogs all my life and having read almost every dog book ever written, I thought I was pretty savvy. Actually, I was a really good pet owner.

I didn’t know I didn’t know much until 1957 when I decided to join a dog training class with “Kadee.” That class led to membership in a dog club. Then I discovered that attending dog shows was really fascinating and was an endeavor in which my entire young family could participate.

I realized I knew nothing about dog showing. I didn’t even realize that my dog, although AKC-registered, wasn’t a show dog. I didn’t know what to do in the show ring! I was a rank amateur!

Fortunately a wonderful couple recognized my interest, appreciated my lack of knowledge and took me under their wing. They became my mentors and the time they spent with me, the hours spent poring over GSD Reviews in their den on Sunday afternoons, are indelibly imprinted in my memory.

That’s how I learned about my chosen Breed. I was like a sponge, soaking up every morsel of information that they were willing to share. I read the books that they suggested. I took their advice, and, because I was willing to learn, others started sharing what they knew to me. It wasn’t long before people were asking me to show their puppies for them.

Most of what I know today about breeding and showing I can still attribute to my friends in those long-ago days who were willing to help a rank amateur. Today, those friends and what they shared mean so much to me; they still impact what I do in terms of dealing with newcomers to our Breed. Thanks to them, I learned the value of having a mentor. Now I am in a position to return that favor to others.

A number of years ago, a lady joined one of my training classes with her Corgi. She became interested in titling her dog in Obedience. Then she attended a Herding Test and qualified her dogs. Now, years later, she has held several offices in the organization and she has chaired the annual Herding Instinct Test for several years! I am proud to have mentored her.
________________________________________________________________

Mentoring is another word for discipleship; discipleship another word for sponsor. One of the best ways to determine a Christian leader is to ask who they are mentoring. If they are not spending any significant time with someone, then all they are doing is dispensing knowledge similar to a parent who knows their child's favorite sport, but never participates in it with them. That is not Jesus' way at all.

Jesus' command for all believers is to make disciples. It is not optional.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, "teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."--Matthew 28:19-20

Making disciples is much like assuming the responsibilities of being a parent and probably the most neglected relationship in the church today.

We disciple:

· Until they learn to feed themselves, you make sure they are fed.

· You teach them how to feed themselves as soon as possible.

· If they get into trouble, you help them -- even if it is inconvenient, because they are your top priority.

· You train them to do what they need to do.

· You teach them what you know.

· You help protect them from danger.

· Mostly, you must spend time with them because people learn best by example.

Your goal is to eventually reproduce yourself into another who can also stand on their own and reproduce themselves.

Celebrate Recovery has some very strong guidelines built-in because growing properly is tremendously important if we are to reproduce our lives into someone else.

First we need to take care of ourselves
“You can’t impart what you don’t possess.” This is why it is very wise to not get into a significant relationship with the opposite sex for at least a year when in recovery. We need to make sure we are able to walk consistently with God before trying to walk with another.

Develop a relationship with a sponsor or spiritual parent
Like a child needing guidance and support, so does a new Christian or a recovering Christian. This is a crucial relationship. Many of us did not have parents who mentored us, much less spiritual parenting. We need this relationship to be able to give ourselves away to someone else. Too many people in the church are walking alone! We need to take this relationship seriously.

Ask God if you are ready for a mentoring relationship.
Do you desire to grow?
Are you willing to count the cost?
If you are, ask God for a mentor. Seek and you shall find, ask and you shall receive. Those who don't have don't ask. Those who don't ask don't desire.

Do you desire to grow in Christ so you can reproduce your life into another's life? If not, what's more important? What is a better way to make your life count before God?

Disciples are those God is entrusting to you, that He may train them though you.
Training has not been accomplished until the desired action is being practiced.

No comments: