* Putting First Things First


The following is a fictional conversation about spiritual growth…

After a church meeting, two friends (Q & A) got together to talk…

Q: What is the starting point of spiritual growth in CR? There’s so much to do, so much to think about…all those 12 steps and 8 principles…UGH…I am overwhelmed!

A: I am too sometimes. One of the great things about just “showing up” each week is that I am absorbing truth even when I am not aware of it. But you asked a good question.

Q: Do you have a good answer?

A: I think I do. At least, I have learned more than I thought because when you asked the question, this is what came to mind. "God's strength is made perfect in human weakness."

Q: OK…finally, I get to ask about a word I’ve heard a few times, that being “paradox.” I’ve heard a few people upfront say something about the paradox of truth or something like that.

A: Yeah…a paradox is better illustrated than explained. It’s like this…to have life you must first lose life or to go up you first have to go down. I think Socrates said in order for one to learn they must first admit they know nothing. That’s paradox.

So it seems from that verse I shared, God uses our weakness for His glory…that He doesn’t tell us before you come to Me, you need to have a degree in this or that, you have to have a life resume that is super impressive…He says come as you are. Maybe that’s because He knows us better than we know ourselves…and if that’s true, it’s all the more amazing. He pursues us even when we broke His commands towards Him and others, and in my case, I broke the law of love in some pretty bad ways.

Q: So how does that apply to someone at CR?

A: Can I suggest something?

Q: Sure.

A: Can we use “I” statements in our conversation from now on? Didn’t you really mean, “How does this apply to me in CR?”

Q: Yeah…

A: There’s something powerful about taking ownership of what we are feeling. I guess I think God will bless our time together if we are as honest as possible. The “I” statements have had a real impact in my life. I used to speak in “we” or “they” all the time when I really meant “me” or “I”…thanks.

Q: Ok…how does this apply to ME?

A: This first thing that comes to mind is what the Apostle Paul says, "I glory in my struggles." I know it seems strange…that paradox thing again. Maybe it was because Paul knew in his tribulations or struggles that the life of God was flowing in him, and that was the one thing he wanted above all…to have God flow though him.

One of my memory verses is in Philippians 3. Paul says, "That I might know him (Jesus), and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings." Paul knew this. Paul got it. Paul understood it, and lived it, and it showed in his behavior. That's why he wouldn't come into town in a limousine…or whatever they used in the first century…with a large staff and an expense account, enjoying the status of “Apostle”. In fact, in 1 Corinthians 15, he said, "I was the least of the apostles. But the grace of God worked more effectively in me than in any."

Q: That sounds like humility to me.

A: Bingo! If we want to know what power really is, we have to step into the kingdom of humility…again, paradox! This comes full circle to the first step; “Happy are the poor in spirit”…which of course was what Jesus taught in the Sermon on the Mount. One of my favorite passages of the Bible is in Philippians 2…let me read it ‘cause I need to hear it as well...

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Q: Wow…that’s powerful. Jesus humbled himself to death and then God exalted him. It’s like Jesus modeled all we ever have to do, he did it first and asks us to follow.

A: Couldn’t have said it better myself…in fact, I couldn’t have said it…you did.

Q: That’s cool…here I come to you for advice, and I had something good to say.

A: I think you might be absorbing more than you thought! That passage really says it all.

Q: In what way?

A: Let’s look at it together in Philippians 2…

Verse 5-6: Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped

Here comes the “I” statements again…
My attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus…I do not have equality with God.

Verse 7: but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

I am to be nothing and become a servant before God.

Verse 8: And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross!

I am to humble myself to obedience and die to self, to come to the cross of Jesus and admit I am powerless to be right with God on my own strength, to admit I can’t do it on my own.

Verse 9-11: Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

God will exalt me to himself as his child and write my name in the book of life when I bow my knee to Jesus and confess that He is Lord with my tongue, and this gives glory to the Father.

Q: That is so cool! Scripture amazes me. I guess it all starts with humility before God, admitting we…I mean, I…am powerless on my own to be right with God. I need a Savior…I need Jesus. And it is because of what Jesus did for me on the cross, His death on my behalf…His obedience to His Father…that when I say I am nothing, I can then become exalted before God.

A: Yes. You first said you were overwhelmed…always keep the steps in order. When we (I) start to level jump the steps, I get in trouble. They build upon each other for a reason. I know I need that stability, one step at a time, to growth in anything I do. When I get proud and confident, mostly impatient, I want to jump ahead. The steps are not like building a model plane…we (I) can’t jump ahead…we (I) need to humble ourselves (myself) and go one step at a time.

Q: Seems so simple.

A: “Seems” is a dangerous word!

Q: Funny…I guess so.

A: That’s why we need each other to be accountable. In fact, as I think of it, you actually answered your own question before we even sat down together.

Q: How so?

A: Well, it was an act of humility for you to ask and seek…you easily could have walked the other way today. But you sought me out for some reason and humbled yourself. You put first things first without even knowing.

Q: Life’s funny.

A: It is! God is good.

Q: I can’t believe all I wanted to do is get a sandwich before I saw you.

A: I could…I’m hungry and now it’s time for me to humble myself and serve…lunch is on me!

No comments: