* Now I’ll Be Famous!



“Now I’ll Be Famous”

Many are aware now that on Dec. 5 a 19-year-old teenage gunman carried his AK-47 into a Nebraska department store, took the elevator up to the third floor and immediately opened gunfire on innocent customers and store employees.

The victims, ranging from ages 24 to 66, sought cover in dressing rooms and clothing racks at the Westroads Mall but lost their lives at the hands of the 19-year-old gunman.

The incident left eight dead and five wounded before the shooter, Robert A. Hawkins, killed himself with a self-inflicted gunshot.

The shooter left behind a suicide note that read, in part, "sorry for everything," and "Now I'll be famous." Hawkins recently broke up with his girlfriend and lost his job at McDonald's. He also had a criminal record.

Hawkins had recently broken up with a girlfriend and was fired from McDonald's. She told the World-Herald that Hawkins said he had been fired after being accused of stealing $17 from his till at the restaurant. McDonald's management declined to comment to the newspaper. The shooting spree was Nebraska's deadliest since January 1958, when Charles Starkweather killed 10 people in Nebraska and another in Wyoming.

The Bible teaches clearly that all have fallen short of the glory of God, that the wages of sin is death. There is also a view that the Bible teaches which is total depravity. It is a teaching that is often misunderstood. Total depravity says that all people have murder in their hearts. Jesus confronted the Pharisees telling them that anger in their hearts is murder.

The lie and myth of our culture is all men are basically good. This goes against what the Bible teaches. It is by the grace of God that we do not act on our anger to the point of murder. Yet, all of us have the capacity to murder, and that’s the point of total depravity. Few have committed the act, but all have the capacity to do so. And so in the face of great tragedy, we feel deeply held grief that any image bearer lost their life, and at the same time can say, “But by the grace of God go I.” In this, we are humbled by God’s grace in our lives and all glory goes to God as Savior, not ourselves.

Yet why did this teenage boy say in his note, “Now I’ll be famous”? What is it about mankind that has this deep desire to be known or “famous”? This is the dividing line between those in Christ and those not in Christ.

As image bearers, God has set eternity in our hearts—all of our hearts—and we know life is more than this world. Those serving self, sin, and Satan (the ruler of the kingdom of the air) can only live for the here and now. This world is their final resting place, so to seek fame and have a legacy is the goal of life--even if that is an evil goal. It is a lie from the great Deceiver.

When a person’s father is the evil one, they act accordingly. This is why it is said that someone not in Christ is serving the evil one. They will use other image bearers (people) for their own selfish glory, even to the point of murder! A heart given over to God does not rejoice in the sufferings of another. We are to have compassion and grace just like our Savior had for us.

Those in Christ know that this world is not their final resting place, that eternity with God is our home in heaven. We also want to make an impact, but it is not for the here and now, it is storing up treasure in heaven, and many times that means doing without the watching eyes of the world. It is doing when nobody but God will see. It is humble.

Our Father is the Holy One and we act accordingly with a new heart and new desires. We are being transformed daily as we walk with Jesus. We take sin seriously in our lives and seek ways to be right with all people as lights, dealing with the sparks of anger before they grow to the size of a wildfire.

It is interesting to note that this shooter also said, "sorry for everything." This reflects being made in God’s image as well. The teenager knew what right and wrong is. He had guilt and shame. Yet his master was the evil one and he acted according to the father of lies—“If you commit murder, you will be famous!”

This is tragic, and yet important to note that the lies control all who are not in Christ Jesus. It is by the grace of God that anyone does not carry out the evil desires of their heart to murderous conclusions. This is why a wise parent will immediately discipline a young child when they go astray and put another child down, feeling better about themselves as they demean someone else. The early sparks need to be put out!

Sadly, this young boy needed Jesus like all of us. But by the grace of God go
I. He was filled with deep hurts, habits, and hang-ups. The teenage years and early adulthood are a vulnerable period in everyone’s life. Without Jesus, anger and rage can only grow if there are no restraints in one’s life. We saw the same thing in the Virgina Tech shooting.

This boy’s story probably will not surprise those in Celebrate Recovery. It is not a mystery. If a boy has a troubled family life (Satan’s number one attack is to destroy the family—the building block of life) and allows hurts, habits, and hang-ups to control his life, then he is left to make his god a girlfriend or job (idolotry). When those restraints are removed, his rage turned to insanity and he acted on the desire. Praise God His restraint has been on our culture, but it seems these acts of evil are on the rise.

Step 12. Having had a spiritual experience as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others...

Let us look beyond the surface and believe what God says about the human heart of the unbeliever. We need to carry the gospel (the good news) to others.

This is what the LORD says:
Cursed is the one who trusts in man,
who depends on flesh for his strength
and whose heart turns away from the LORD
The heart is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure. Who can understand it?
–Jeremiah 17:5; 9

All of us like sheep have gone astray,
Each of us has turned to his own way
–Isaiah 53:6

As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. -Ephesians 2:1-3

Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned— for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come.
-
Romans 5:12-14

10 reminders from this tragedy:
1) Many people are hurting far worse than we think beneath the surface of life.
2) Everyone has hurts, habits, and hang-ups despite their external appearance.
3) Everyone needs to be connected to others.
4) Isolation only allows one to live in a fantasy world they can control.
5) Either a person is in Christ or not in Christ—there is no in-between.
6) Kindness and patience is needed to all, especially those who are vulnerable.
7) The holidays are times when many are very prone to deep loneliness.
8) Christians are to go the extra mile in service towards our neighbor
9) Practice good listening skills & make the effort to reach out to those who fall away
10) Be thankful that God has given you a family in Christ and lean on others

May we who are followers of Jesus Christ come together in this prayer;
A Prayer of New Life
Gracious God, I acknowledge that You are worthy of all honor, glory and praise. I am thankful for the victorious work of Your Son, Jesus Christ at
Calvary for me. I appropriate His victory for myself now as I willingly surrender every area of my life to Your will.

Thank you for the forgiveness and righteousness that has been given to me as Your adopted child. I trust in Your protection and provision daily. I know that Your love for me never ceases.

I rejoice in Your victory, my Lord, over all the principalities and powers in the heavenlies. In faith I stand in Your victory and commit myself to live obediently for You my King.

I desire that my fellowship with You become greater. Reveal to me those things that grieve You and enables the enemy to secure an advantage in my life. I need the Holy Spirit's powerful ministry in my life; bringing conviction of sin, repentance of heart, strengthening my faith and increasing perseverance in resisting temptation.

Help me to die to self and walk in the victory of the new creation You have provided for me. Let the fruits of the Spirit flow out of my life so that You will be glorified through my life.

I know that it is Your will that I should stand firm and resist all of the enemy's work against me. Help me to discern the attacks upon my thoughts and emotions. Enable me to stand upon Your Word and resist all the accusations, distortions and condemnations that are hurled against me.

It is my desire to be transformed through the renewing of my mind, so that I will not compromise with the ways of the world, or yield to the enemy's attacks, but be obedient to Your will.

I draw upon those spiritual resources that You have provided me and I attack the strongholds and plans of the enemy that have been put in place against me. I command in the name of Jesus Christ that the enemy must release my mind, will, emotions and body completely. They have been yielded to the Lord and I belong to Him.

Lord, enable me to become the person You created me to be. Help me as I pray to be strong in faith. Show me how to apply Your Word in my life each day. I know that I wear the full armor of God when I am committed to and stand firmly upon Your Word.

I want You to have the supreme place in my life. I surrender myself completely to You, Lord. You are always faithful and You extend Your grace to me constantly, even when I do not realize it.

I claim Your promise of forgiveness, cleansing and healing in its fullness. In faith, I receive the victory today that you have already put in place for me. I do this in the name of Jesus Christ, my Savior with a grateful heart. AMEN

No comments: