* The Dentist's Chair


The following is a true story of a personal friend…

I worshipped in the dentist's chair yesterday. I really did. No. I was not given too much nitrous oxide. Believe me. It was not enough.

Let me explain about the worship service from the dental chair.

I had had an interesting conversation the day before with a co-worker about when “bad” things happen to us. Are they really bad? If so, how? How does Rom 8:28 enter in? How does the way we see the problem (i.e., something is bad) affect the problem?

Okay, I get to Dr. Grant’s office yesterday at 9 am and I learn I need two emergency root canals before I leave for my mission trip to Sudan. Insert “bad” here.

I thought to myself, “Can’t I wait until I get back? …Uh, no…okay, I’ll just blast ‘Celtic Woman’ from my Nano, relax, pray, panic, relax, fake it, trust, etc., myself through this…okay, Go Ahead!”

I’m an hour or so into this experience when I feel like there is no nitrous, no local, nothing. Just excruciating pain! I called time-out and told the dentist I’m experiencing some real pain here. Up the nitrous, more shots!

As I lay in panic, I hear from the dentist, “Sorry. You’re getting the maximum nitrous allowed (by law at least) and we’ve given you enough shots to sedate an elephant.”
(or something to that effect)

And then I hear these words, “This is the WORST root canal I’ve ever had to do. It’s a hot tooth.”

Insert: my favorite expletive at this point. I repented immediately too.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“The infection is so bad in that tooth that nothing we can give you will numb the pain like you want. It’s going to hurt as we get the infection out. Sorry.”

At this point I’m really wondering why I did not wait for sedation dentistry but THIS was an emergency.

So, I specifically faced this question in my mind as we proceeded. As bad as this is . . . the pain I’m experiencing is at the hands of people who have my best interest in mind.

I kept looking into the eyes of Amy, my primary assistant and all throughout she knew exactly what I was asking. “Are you good? Are you there for me? You’re not going to leave me are you? I’m not being tortured am I? Is this for my good? ”

Amy, bless her heart, had to look away from my eyes many times to keep from crying; which was not too successful. But her eyes brought incredible comfort to me. “You’re going to make it. I know it hurts. It hurts me to watch you go through it. You’re going to be okay. Hang in there. You’re going to make it. Trust me.”

I made a conscious (perhaps nearly semi-conscious) decision at some point. I will take the pain, even bring it on, because I know the pain I’m having to endure will be over soon, and the immediate cause of my pain (the dentist), is doing what he is doing for my good. He really does care for me.

Then, I had a very worshipful moment and I started shedding tears that Amy thought were of pain, but they were of joy. I started crying because the Lord showed me this……….

When you’re going through pain in your life Craig, look into my eyes of compassion. When you do, you’ll see me crying too. I hurt when you hurt.”

Then I became aware that much of what I would call pain (which is bad) is designed to humble me and rid the horrible infection of sin in my life. I was humbled to the point of tears inexpressible when I asked myself this question, “Do I want to get rid of the infection of sin in my life as badly as I want to be free from the pain of sitting in this dentist’s chair?” I answered honestly and said, “Lord, I want to submit to you without feeling the pain. Can’t we just increase the nitrous?”

But when I looked into His eyes, I saw the tears flowing down out of compassion (I’m sure it was just Amy but since she knows Christ too maybe I was seeing Jesus in her eyes) and He simply gave me the grace to endure the pain.

That’s how I worshipped in the dentist’s chair yesterday.

Be merciful to me, O LORD, for I am in distress;
my eyes grow weak with sorrow,
my soul and my body with grief. --
Psalm 31:9

I waited patiently for the LORD;.
At last he looked; finally he listened.
He lifted me out of the ditch,
pulled me from deep mud.
He stood me up on a solid rock
to make sure I wouldn't slip.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God
More and more people are seeing this:
they enter the mystery,
abandoning themselves to God. --Psalm 40:1-3


Tomorrow: The Wealth of God’s Love and Grace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lord rid the horrible afflictions of sin in my life and let me focus on you.tt